You are here

History

History of District Heating in Riga
 

  • The year 1952 - initiation of works in the first transmission pipeline project. Works on its construktion were conducted simultaneously with building of RIGA TEC 1.
  • The year 1956 - district heating plant "Andrejsala" (RIGA VRES) started heat supply to housing area of Riga sea commercial port.
  • The year 1958 - to ensure supervision over construction of heating sources and perfomance there of, a heating system shop of a combined heat and power plant (TEC 1) was founded in beginning of the year 1958, that was transformed into Riga municipal heating system shop in the year 1959.
  • November 3, 1958 - the first transmission pipeline was put in operation. "VEF" and "Railway carriage plant" were the first consumers of district heating.
  • The year 1959 - transmission pipeline was extended to Matisa Street. Production shop was built at Cesu Street 3 for the needs of Riga municipal district heating system department. At that time, operated 2, 3 km of network with 89 consumers connected there to, and amount of heat energy supplied to those in 1959 was 47, 5 thous.Gcal.
  • The year 1960 - the first transmission pipeline was extended to central railway terminal.
  • June 1, 1961 - on the basis of Riga municipal district heating system shop "Rigas siltumtikli" was established as an independet entity. In 1972, it was transformed into heat system introduction and district heating adminitration, but in 1992 it was transformed into district heating introduction administration that operates withing LATVENERGO.
  • The year 1966 - distric heating services board of Riga municipal housing administration was established, but in 1971, - Riga municipal enterprise of district heating system "Siltums", that services internal heating system "Siltums" In 1992, it was structurally transformed by establishing independent regional heating enterprises adminitration of municipalities.
  • From the year 1966 to end of the year 1974 -in connection with construction of new production source and housing area. Additionally, there were built many district heating plants: "KENGARAGS", "DAUGAVGRIVA", "Imanta" and "Ziepniekkalns", and also reconstructed and modernized boiler houses "VECMILGRAVIS" belonged to some enterprises, that were a part of the district heating system.
  • The year 1974 - TEC - 2 started heat supply for Riga.
  • The year 1983 - to ensure a stable operation of district heating system, an automated dispatcher control system was established.
  • March 14, 1996 - for the first time of Riga's history, a united district heating enterprise joint stock company "Rigas siltums" was established that started its operation on May 1 of the same year. Function of district heating system introduction administration of state owned joint stock company under privatization "LATVENERGO". Riga municipal heat supply of local municipalities and other heat supply service enterprises were transferred to the new established joint stock company.
  • The year 1997 - JSC "Rigas siltums" has installed heat meters at its clients premises. Ill payment for supplied heat an calculated in accordance with the showings of these heat meters.
  • The year 1999 - Riga District Heating Rehabilitation Project has been completed . Within this project, financed by SIDA, a demo project has been realised (15 individual heat substation installed an 5 block substation liquidation ).
  • The year 2001 - A toll-free telephone line for customers' need - 8 000 090 was set up. The program of block substations closing down was completed. All 170 block substations in Riga district heating system were closed down; more han 2500 prefabricated individual substations were installed.
  • The year 2002 - The program of installation of prefabricated individual substations has been continued. The total number of substations is 3458. After connection of networks to the Imanta DHP four mid-size boiler stations were losed down. The work of transformation of the Imanta DHP to cogeneration mode was begun.
  • The year 2003 - The first company's heat source operated in cogeneration mode, heat-only-boiler on Viestura prospekts with a gas engine with the electricity load of 0.5 MW, was put into operation. In order to inctease the safety level in Riga's center, as well as taking into consideration Latvenergo's plans to close down DHP Andrejsala, a new pipeline connecting the Kr.Valdemara and Skanstes street networks with the networks in city center, was built.
  • The year 2004 - Following the reconstruction of the Heat Plant "Daugavgrīva" the steam turbine cogeneration unit was put in operation, the work for construction of a cogeneration plant at the Heat Plant “Imanta" is continued. The work for construction of the system for automated reading of heat meters data was commenced.
  • The year 2005  - The foundation stone of the cogeneration unit of the Heat Plant "Imanta" was laid, the major part of equipment for power generation at the Heat Plant “Imanta” was delivered and installed. Developers of new construction projects appreciate the profitability and benefits of the offer of the company and connect new sites to the district heating system – the total heat load of the connected new customers has almost trippled compared to last year, the number of new customers has almost doubled. 
  • The year 2006 - The cogeneration unit of the Heat Plant “Imanta” was commissioned.
  • The year 2007 - Modernisation of the Heat Plant „Imanta” was continued – modernisation of two remaining water heating boilers KVGM-100 No. 4 and  No. 5 with replacement of the frontal screens and installation of four modern automated low level NOx burners manufactured by the company “TODD” (USA) was completed. At the same time the environment protection measures were implemented by installing monitoring systems of harmful emissions of continuous operation, as well as by implementing noise damping measures.
  • The year 2009 - Construction of a cogeneration plant at the boiler house at Keramikas Street 2 was implemented by installing two gas engines with total installed electrical capacity of 2.4MW. Following construction of the linking pipeline between the boiler houses at Gobas Street 33a and Keramikas Street 2a the heat supply security in Bolderāja district has improved and at the same time optimum loading of cogeneration units is ensured.