HISTORY OF DISTRICT HEATING IN RIGA
 
 

The year 1952 - initiation of works in the first transmission pipeline project. Works on its construktion were conducted simultaneously with building of RIGA TEC 1.
The year 1956 - district heating plant "Andrejsala" (RIGA VRES) started heat supply to housing area of Riga sea commercial port.
The year 1958 - to ensure supervision over construction of heating sources and perfomance there of, a heating system shop of a combined heat and power plant (TEC 1) was founded in beginning of the year 1958, that was transformed into Riga municipal heating system shop in the year 1959.
November 3, 1958 - the first transmission pipeline was put in operation. "VEF" and "Railway carriage plant" were the first consumers of district heating.
The year 1959 - transmission pipeline was extended to Matisa Street. Production shop was built at Cesu Street 3 for the needs of Riga municipal district heating system department. At that time, operated 2, 3 km of network with 89 consumers connected there to, and amount of heat energy supplied to those in 1959 was 47, 5 thous.Gcal.
The year 1960 - the first transmission pipeline was extended to central railway terminal.
June 1, 1961 - on the basis of Riga municipal district heating system shop "Rigas siltumtikli" was established as an independet entity. In 1972, it was transformed into heat system introduction and district heating adminitration, but in 1992 it was transformed into district heating introduction administration that operates withing LATVENERGO.
The year 1966
- distric heating services board of Riga municipal housing administration was established, but in 1971, - Riga municipal enterprise of district heating system "Siltums", that services internal heating system "Siltums" In 1992, it was structurally transformed by establishing independent regional heating enterprises adminitration of municipalities.
From the year 1966 to end of the year 1974 -in connection with construction of new production source and housing area. Additionally, there were built many district heating plants: "KENGARAGS", "DAUGAVGRIVA", "Imanta" and "Ziepniekkalns", and also reconstructed and modernized boiler houses "VECMILGRAVIS" belonged to some enterprises, that were a part of the district heating system.
The year 1974 - TEC - 2 started heat supply for Riga.
The year 1983 - to ensure a stable operation of district heating system, an automated dispatcher control system was established.
March 14, 1996 - for the first time of Riga's history, a united district heating enterprise joint stock company "Rigas siltums" was established that started its operation on May 1 of the same year. Function of district heating system introduction administration of state owned joint stock company under privatization "LATVENERGO". Riga municipal heat supply of local municipalities and other heat supply service enterprises were transferred to the new established joint stock company.
The year 1997 - JSC "Rigas siltums" has installed heat meters at its clients premises. Ill payment for supplied heat an calculated in accordance with the showings of these heat meters.
The year 1999 - Riga District Heating Rehabilitation Project has been completed . Within this project, financed by SIDA, a demo project has been realised (15 individual heat substation installed an 5 block substation liquidation ).
The year 2001 - A toll-free telephone line for customers' need - 8 0000 090 was set up. The program of block substations closing down was completed. All 170 block substations in Riga district heating system were closed down; more han 2500 prefabricated individual substations were installed.
The year 2002 - The program of installation of prefabricated individual substations has been continued. The total number of substations is 3458. After connection of networks to the Imanta DHP four mid-size boiler stations were losed down. The work of transformation of the Imanta DHP to cogeneration mode was begun.